I have a Dell E4300 and like it.  My preference would have been for a
little lighter system but this one does the job.  It's a little over 3
lbs.

Curt

From: Jon Harris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 2:21 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Looking for light laptop

The E series is nice I just got my boss one and he likes it.  Lighter
than his D820 but that is not saying much it is a desktop replacement.

Jon

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Tom Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm looking for a light laptop for home/work use.

> Suggestions appreciated.  I'm most used to Dell, HP, and IBM/Lenovo.

 When it comes to the small-and-light category, it's largely a matter
of which sacrifices you want to make.  Which do you want more: An
optical drive, VGA out, DVI out, built-in screen size, etc.  Are you
willing to sacrifice more to get smaller-and-lighter?

 For example, the Apple "Air" laptop is extremely thin, but has
practically no I/O beyond USB and Ethernet.  The Asus Eee is not quite
as thin and light, but is much cheaper than an Air.  From what I've
seen, IBM and Dell's offerings are bit thicker/heavier, but have more
features.

 ObAnecdote: We mostly buy Dell here.  The Latitude D410/D420/D430
series is light but capable.  We've got six in service.  I've seen a
slightly higher than typical fault incidence than other models, but
for our case they may also be getting (ab)used more, so that may just
be sample bias.  I wouldn't buy *any* laptop without a service
contract.  On the downside, they're phasing it out, and I haven't
touched the new "E series" yet.

-- Ben