The HAL is part of the Virtual Server tools loaded when you first bring up
the server and add the tools.  I have had 2 of my servers bomb when moving
them recently.  Since it was easier to put a new VM built on the 2008
Hyper-V machine than do the trouble shooting to fix it I just opt'ed for the
change out of OS drive.

Jon