On 18 Dec 2008 at 7:38, Dallas Burnworth  wrote:

> I guess the point I am trying to make is that spending more than an 8
> hour day to get a LaserJet 4 or 5 running is not worth it unless whoever
> owns it is paying someone minimum wage to fix it.

If it were broken, I would agree, but mine at least is working now.  I ran my
first HP Laser, an LJIII, until something expensive broke -- don't remember,
but I think got more than 7 years out of that puppy.  The 5MP is its
replacement and it's got to be a similar age.

Origin of this thread was about driver issues, not the printer, and looking
back it seems the problem is on a machine that the original poster had upgraded
from Windows 2000 to Windows XP.  I'm not surprised that he had problems,
everyone I know recommends a clean install over an upgrade.  This is one reason
I always set up the OS on one drive and all the software and data on another if
I can.

> Model T Fords can be fixed indefinitely and some have been on the roads
> for 100 years (and you can still find places that sell replacement
> parts), but how many people are taking these things on the morning
> commute?

Speaking of Model Ts, I still have my first printer, an OKI ML-92, that I got
in about 1987; don't know if it'll run, though.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona