We have a laserjet 4 in the accounts office. It has outlasted 3 HP1320N's and
it has been decided to keep it out of the cupboard until it too dies.....

-----Original Message-----
From: Dallas Burnworth [mailto:dallas.burnwo...@zones.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:55 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Printing issue

I apologize for not paying attention at the beginning. Not to get too
far off the subject, but LaserJet 5? Why are you still using that? They
are tanks and last forever, but compared to anything you can get today
you are hemorrhaging money just to keep it running. Here are 2 links
that will prove it.

HP LaserJet Power Calculator. (You will need to know what you pay per
KWH.) You can compare new HP printers to Legacy HP printers or current
competitive printers. This is really useful and for people trying to
save money any way they can, this tells them exactly where the money is
going.
http://hpbroadband.com/(S(q3zkyv45j14ant45zwnel1rb))/program.aspx?key=In
stantOnMFPs

LaserJet Page Cost Calculator. 70% of an HP printer's technology (not
sure what it is on other brands) is in the cartridge, so it is very
important to control the ongoing cost of every printer with consistency
in manufacture. In most cases man-hours are much more expensive than
just getting the product that is more easily supported and cost the end
user or customer less than a single day of consulting fees.
http://www.hp.com/large/ipg/mfp/competitive-comparison-m4345mfp.html?jum
pid=ex_r2548_go/pagecost

I'm not saying don't fix the current issue or anything (sometimes you
just have to make things work), but you can use these tools in the
future to differentiate your value to your customer/boss etc. from your
competition and peers.

Dallas