On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Micheal Espinola Jr
<michealespin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nit-pick: SFTP isn't 'FTP over SSH'.  FTP over SSH, is just that - FTP
> tunneled-over SSH. SFTP is its own protocol.

  Er, okay, yah, bad wording on my part.  Correct, SFTP isn't RFC-959
FTP tunneled over SSH.  But SFTP is a protocol that runs over SSH.  I
was trying to convey that SFTP uses SSH, and SSH is a technology
widely understood and proven in the real-world.

  (Yes, I had to look up the RFC # for FTP.)

  (Proactive counter nit-pick: While double-checking my facts, I read
that SFTP can technically be used without SSH.  However, SFTP would
then lack the encryption and authentication SSH provides.  I would be
amazed to learn anyone has ever implemented such outside of a "hey
look it works" experiment.)

  :-)

-- Ben