Folks,

Its more about security of your systems and controlling whom has access
with what, with Logmein you basically are giving up that control to an
unknown, untrusted 3rd party, that you can't audit, you don't have a BAA
( business associate agreement, or MOU ( memorandum of understanding (
only applies to Govt entities)) which are violations of HIPPA.

The sections are the following.  NOTE: I am not a Lawyer, none of this
constitutes LEGAL ADVICE, and I can't be held responsible for you
following any of this advice and causing harm to your organization, you
should talk with your Lawyers/Management C levels before doing any of
this. I am just interpreting the HIPPA regulations as per what they
state in the final rule.

Transmissions Security: Section 164.312(e)(1) ( encrypted communications
or viewing of EPHI on carious systems access by Logmein)

Person or Entity Authentication: Section 164.312(d)(8) (Failure to
accurate authenticate who is accessing your EPHI, you don't control the
logmein authentication mechanism, you can't audit it, and you can't tie
it back into a person or process that you can verifiably claim did or
didn't access the EPHI in question)

Integrity: Section 164.312 ( c ) (1): If you can audit who has access to
your data, then you don't know if its been manipulated or changed from
its current state and if its valid or not anymore, thus violation the
Integrity of the data.

Audit Controls: Section 164.312(b): Again u can't audit who did and
didn't login via Logmein, or tie that back to a person, or entity that
will state up in a court of law if you take it that far ( Forensically
sound logs of the information access and manipulation etc etc)

Access Controls: Section 164.312(a)(1): Again you are allowing a 3rd
party without a BAA, or MOU access to your systems via an untrusted
mechanism that you can't secure or control, access into your information
systems? I think we all see the blaring problem is this reguard, you are
opening yourself up to all kinds of bad things.

Security Management Process: Section 164.308(a)(1): You probably haven't
completed a Risk Assessment for this new technology that would have
easily outlined the inheirent harm that Logmein and similar Remote
Access Solutions can cause with the Confidentially, Integrity and
Availability of your systems and data.

Security Incident Proceedures:  Section 164.308(a)(6):  Think about your
incident response plan if or probably when one or more of your systems
become hacked by a malicious 3rd party that has found a flaw or bug in
the logmein process and starts access or stealing your data, corrupting
your systems, rootkits, malware, Trojans, backdoors, etc etc,
Information blackmail, or general denial service from within your
network. What are you going to do then, You let it in the door, you
agreed to have your systems access via an insecure mechanism, I don't
think you are going to win many court battles trying to argue that you
did due diligence or due care process in those reguards. So you might as
well write that big fat check and notify the people that there PHI is
history and in some hackers hands floating around in 3rd world countries
or other nerfarious places of the earth, and that there lives are going
to be affected adversely and probably there identity is going to be
stolen, or attempt to be stolen via information leaks and lack of
judgement.

If that doesn't wake up some C levels eyes and have the lawyers
stirring, and management putting the Kabosh on Logmein and similar
Remote access solutions, then not quiet sure what will.

PS: If you want the breakdown of the sections of HIPPA I have and excel
spreadsheet that covers each section and the types of questions you all
need to be asking yourselves when you deal with these type of issues.

Edward E. Ziots

Network Engineer

Lifespan Organization

Email: ezi...@lifespan.org

Phone: 401-639-3505

MCSE, MCP+I, ME, CCA, Security +, Network +