From: Jim McAtee [mailto:jmca...@mediaodyssey.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:40 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: UPS recommendations

IMO, with this approach you may just be creating more opportunities for
the whole system to fail rather than providing redundancy, as your
recent experience might prove.

The redundant power supplies in enterprise servers are there first a
foremost to protect against power supply failures.  After hard drives,
and perhaps cooling fans, these have been the most common component
failures that we've experienced.  Note that many manufacturers, such as
Dell, provide a choice of Y power cable for redundant PSUs.  These are
meant to reduce cable clutter when you have a single power feed, but
still provide PSU redundancy.

If you were in a first-class colocation facility, where you were
receiving two hightly reliable power feeds, I could see running each
supply off of a separate feed.

But in your installation it means spec'ing each UPS to be able to
operate every server attached to it simultaneously for the desired run
time.  So you purchase two of the same UPS, maintain them as best you
can, then the day comes when you lose power and _one_ of them fails,
what are the chances that the other will hold up all of your servers?
This is exactly what you just went through.  Battery failures are the
most common problem.
If the batteries in the first UPS are borderline, and unable to run 1/2
of your equipment, those servers will then load the second UPS, which is
likely to be in a similar state of health and even more likely to fail
under the increased load.