On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Phil Brutsche <p...@optimumdata.com> wrote:
> What's your price point?

  I dunno, I haven't bought a managed switch in this size category before.

  When it comes to networking, I try to avoid buying cheap crap.  At
the same time, I don't spend money just for the hell of it.  So, I
normally buy HP ProCurve units for the communications closets and
server room -- best bang for the buck, in my experience.  Cisco's nice
but not worth the extra bucks.

  For such an itty-bitty switch, I'm willing to lower my standards
somewhat, maybe buy something that only has a year warranty instead of
lifetime.  Like I said, we're using unmanaged switches in these roles
now (e.g, NetGear FS108).  But I at least want something that's going
to be reliable during its lifetime.

> HP ProCurve 1800-8G (J9029A)
> HP ProCurve 1700-8 (J9079A)

  Yah, I've been considering them, but neither of those can do
Power-over-Ethernet.  I suppose I could use injectors.

> Watch for a ProCurve 2600-8-PWR (J8762A) on eBay

  That's the one that's only got 8 ports but still takes up all the
room of a 24-port 1U rack switch, right?  Not what I'm looking for in
"compact".  :)

> Avoid the Linksys SRW2008P and SRW2008MP! Bad experiences there - have
> to powercycle the switch 2x or 3x per day.

  Thanks for the heads up.  That's the kind of experience I'm looking for.  :)

> No experience with the newer Linksys switches, but based on my
> experience with stuff 2 or 3 years old I'd be wary of the newer stuff.

  Yah, I've generally found LinkSys to be lacking in the kind of
quality a "real business" wants.  But they do occasionally turn out a
diamond in the rough (like the original WRT54G's), so I figured I'd
ask.

> Always check the NewEgg reviews!

  The problem I have with most Internet review sites is they're full
of consumers, half of whom give the product bad ratings when they
ordered the wrong thing, the other half who are just using it to
connect an XBox and a PC to the Internet and so don't really have much
exposure to the management features.

-- Ben