From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:08 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: sysprep question

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Reimer, Mark <mark.rei...@prairie.edu> wrote:
> I've read that I do need to sysprep, and I've read that I don't need to
> sysprep because the machines are on a domain

  That's wrong, and maybe even backwards.

  The major thing SYSPREP does is generate a new SID (Security
Identifier) for the machine.  The SID is what Windows uses to uniquely
identify the machine -- it matters more than the hostname, the AD
GUID, and the SPN.  If you have two machines on the domain with the
name SID, the domain controller will puke all over the place, as it
sees two PCs with the same SID.

  If you're *not* running a domain, and the computers don't need to
talk to each other or the same server, then you might be able to get
away without SYSPREP.  The computers will all have the same SID, but
since they never encounter each other, they don't notice.

-- Ben