On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Phil Brutsche <p...@optimumdata.com> wrote:
>  a) I have to learn enough JS to do it

  Well, I've already had to do that to do things like configure our
proxy auto-configure script, which MSIE uses as well.

>  b) I need to have the JS query a database of some kind ...

  I know I've seen mention of LDAP.  More simply, you could just look
at an environment variable.  For example:

        var foo = getenv("GROUP");
        if (foo == "students") {
                lockPref ("proxy.http", "whatever.example.com");
        } else {
        }

> ... hope it's sufficiently documented

  Yah.  I won't disagree that this stuff isn't as well documented as
it could be.  A lot of stuff is scattered about blogs and web forums
and archives of lists like this one.

>  c) That I even need to go through that much trouble to begin with.

  Well, it has to be done *somehow*.  Group Policy didn't magically do
anything for my network; I had to go through the trouble of learning,
planning, configuring, documenting, and managing it.  In particular,
management of Group Policy is kind of a heavyweight problem.  With
plain old text files, I can use comments in the files, stick the files
in RCS, and be done.  So there's advantages and disadvantages to both
approaches.

-- Ben