Much more likely that your A/V software is doing e-mail scanning "cloaked".

________________________________
From: andy [afo...@psu.edu]
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 8:46 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Too to find what .exe has a port open

I recently scanned some of my computers with a languard beta scanner that I
have been using for years.  And then scanned some computers on my subnet and
then on other subnets.  They all showed ports 25 and 110 open.  Since I never
got false results from my languard beta in years, I immediately suspected that
all of these computers were infected with some type of spam bot.  I picked out
one machine and installed every type of free port monitor on it that I could
find.  All results showed that that the ports 25 and 110 are not open.  I think
our firewall guys, they just started installing and learning about firewalls,
have it setup so that the firewall intercepts any telnet session to 25 or 110
and gives it a window.  Is this possible?

 I have not tried moving my languard beta scanner outside the firewall to test
the ports.

On another note, a few years ago, I used the languard scanner to look for a
trojan that was infecting computers and found a port open on a linux machine
that corresponded to the port the trojan was infecting.  Come to find out, the
linux machine was using some type of proprietary software that used the same
port as the trojan.  We said, eh ok, you are clean, you can get back on the
network.