I recently scanned some of my computers with a
languard beta scanner that I have been using for
years.  And then scanned some computers on my
subnet and then on other subnets.  They all
showed ports 25 and 110 open.  Since I never got
false results from my languard beta in years, I
immediately suspected that all of these computers
were infected with some type of spam bot.  I
picked out one machine and installed every type
of free port monitor on it that I could
find.  All results showed that that the ports 25
and 110 are not open.  I think our firewall guys,
they just started installing and learning about
firewalls, have it setup so that the firewall
intercepts any telnet session to 25 or 110 and
gives it a window.  Is this possible?

  I have not tried moving my languard beta
scanner outside the firewall to test the ports.

On another note, a few years ago, I used the
languard scanner to look for a trojan that was
infecting computers and found a port open on a
linux machine that corresponded to the port the
trojan was infecting.  Come to find out, the
linux machine was using some type of proprietary
software that used the same port as the
trojan.  We said, eh ok, you are clean, you can get back on the network.

At 02:47 PM 4/9/2009, Derek Lidbom wrote:
>Are they UDP ports?
>
>Does it say immediately after it checks them that they are closed again?
>
>My guess would be Languard see the port number
>and immediately associates with Trojan, without
>checking to see if it is udp or tcp.

--------Andy-Ofalt---863-3449------405-Ag-Admin-Bldg------for
more information go  to
http://ict.cas.psu.edu/Contacts.html  ----------
My little blurb to eat up bandwidth and make your mail box even larger
  The real problem is that IP, a connectionless
protocol, was never developed to be the universal
protocol. ATM was developed to serve that purpose and failed.