Eh? This is definitely something you should look at. IIRC Exchange itself
doesn't require that DLs be uni groups, it's just that all the tooling (e.g.
the UI and PowerShell) enforces this. It is and has been best practice since
Exchange 2000 in nearly any case so it makes sense to enforce it through the
tools the 90% crowd uses.

Mail enabled security groups is generally a no-no. It's a pretty big security
blackhole if you let people manage membership in Outlook. You can secure
anything with a sec group, so take for example the "Finance People" DL which is
incidentally a security group too. Jane the admin for finance adds Bob who's
covering for Bill to the DL so he gets mail. Unbeknownst to anyone, Bill now
has access to all the books because someone secured them with the same group
that is exposed for mail.

One thing to keep in mind if you want to test security groups and see what
breaks if you make them distribution groups, when you do that conversion, the
SID is retained, so if you discover you need it to remain a security group
until you can reACL resources, you can just make it a security group again and
the SID will stay intact.

Thanks,
Brian Desmond
br...@briandesmond.com