On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Phil Thompson<ph...@wpiinc.com> wrote:
> Everyone is claiming it is the other guy.

  The Open Source fan in me is grinning.  I thought Windows was better
because you had a company standing by the product.  ;-)

> I spend 90% of my time coming up with work arounds.

  You must be new here.  Welcome to IT.  ;-)

  (In fairness, Open Source is just as bad.  You just have more
options for coming up with the workarounds.)

> I had a guy send me an update on piece of software and they
> way he zipped it I couldn’t open it.

  Let me guess: WinZip and their format-of-the-month?

> I called HP about this, there are a couple printers that are causing the
> problem and they are new printers too boot, but HP wouldn’t give me the time
> of day.

  HP's printer support is worse than their printer drivers.  This is
why we're not buying HP printers anymore.  Lexmark's hardware and
drivers seem comparable, and their support is better (if still less
than stellar).

  For our existing fleet of HP drivers, we hacked together a generic
PCL5 driver from the HP LaserJet 4 driver Microsoft includes in
Windows XP.  (We could do this because we have the source code for
that driver, since it's really just a text file.)  I can post if you
like, but I don't know if it will work for your printers or Server
2008.

-- Ben