Thanks for that information Sam. I can confirm that the ImageZoom add-on
(which a client of mine relies on) has been successfully modified as
described and now works perfectly.

As an addendum, one can use Winrar (which I prefer over Winzip) and set
the .xpi files to "open with" Winrar. Once in Winrar, go to
Options->Settings->Viewer, select "External viewer" and specify your
favourite editor under "External viewer name". So now, in Winrar, if one
clicks on the file (in this case "install.rdf"), the file is edited and
then re-inserted into the archive. I use UltraEdit and can confirm that
this works OK.

--
Peter van Houten