On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Erik Goldoff<egold...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow ! I disagree completely ... Opening up VPNs to home users' privately
> owned equipment, with questionable security/infection status seems MUCH more
> risky than opening RDP ports on the firewall ...

  Use a firewall.  You've heard of firewalls, right?  ;-)  Firewalls
aren't just something that protects the corporate network from the
Internet.  Firewalls can protect sections of the corporate net from
other sections of the corporate net, or computers on the corporate net
from threats within the perimeter, or, indeed, the corporate network
from unauthorized VPN traffic.

  If you firewall your VPN connection such that only TCP/3389 is
allowed, you're allowing exactly *nothing* more than you are with RDP
without a VPN, but providing considerably better protection.  An RDP
session transported over a good VPN with public-key authentication is
going to be *much* more secure than RDP alone.

> I'm really curious as to why you consider a publicly available RDP session
> such a risk ?

  (1) Passwords are *so* 20th century.  Even a really "strong"
password like "MfdnwF4ra!" isn't going to come close to the security
provided by a 1024-bit or 2048-bit public key.  And with RDP requiring
a password on top of that, you've got two-factor authentication for
cheap.

  (2) Exposing *any* protocol listener from an inside server directly
to the outside Internet makes me nervous.  Better to wrap it in a VPN,
in my book.  It is true that VPN implementations themselves can have
security vulnerabilities, but I'd rather put my trust in a VPN
designed for security than RDP which had security bolted on later.

  (3) Defense in depth.  With the above, someone would have to crack
both the VPN *and* RDP to get anywhere.

-- Ben