On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Brian
Clark<brianclark2...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> MS said that putting in 10 Device CALS for the computers in Domain B would
> be enough. Domain A computers/Users accessing Domain B would not need
> additional CAL's as they are accessing SQL Express!

  I'm a little surprised at that.  Microsoft generally takes the hard
line that any access, direct or indirect, via authenticated (NTLM or
Kerb ticket) connection, requires a CAL.

  But then, I've also found the answers vary depending on what random
rep answers the phone.  And this is for their own licensing.
*hurumph*

  In general, unless you have more than 60 clients, I would suggest
just converting all the CALs to per-client and assigning them that
way.  A CAL assigned to a client is good for that client to access to
any server.  A CAL assigned to a server is good for only that server.
The only benefit to that is you can oversubscribe the server's
licenses, i.e., if you have 80 clients but no more than 50 will
connect at one time.

  But unless you worried about a licensing audit, I'd stick with
Microsoft's verbal answer.  It's cheaper.  :)

-- Ben