From: Shawn [mailto:sh...@loprestohome.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:01 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Apple vs Microsoft?

Does anyone here have any experience, good or bad, regarding the Apple XSERVE
being utilized to host email, data storage, open directory, etc as an
equivalent replacement for Microsoft Server? We are currently running SBS 2003
and have 40 users, but will soon be upping that number to 150. My boss insists
that moving everything over to a Mac environment will be a better long term
move, but I am a bit hesitant without having some outside data to back that up.

I have been told that 150 users can be better managed on two XSERVE's than on a
Windows Active directory network, yet I have had a rough time finding any
direct comparisons.

If any of you have experience running either a mixed environment with both OS X
Server and Windows Server or just a pure OS X environment w/ Mac clients as
well, I would be interested to hear what your take on this is.

I would also be very interested to here from anyone that has done a migration
from Active directory to Open directory, along with any challenges on the user
end. What challenges did you face? Are there any specifics that you can offer
regarding stability, administration, etc?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Shawn