On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Vue, Za<z...@emory.edu> wrote:
> Where does the boss get the idea that a Mac environment will be a better long
> term move?

  Yah, I'd like to know that, too.  It may even be true for certain
situations, but without knowing the reasoning, it's just a wild claim.

> A Dell Optiplex running Windows 2008 for under $1000 can handle 150
> users ...

  Please tell me where I can get Windows 2008 and 150 CALs for under $1000.

  I had to look-up Apple's licensing policies.  According to their
website, OS X Server can be got with "unlimited client licenses" for
$1000.  <http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB605Z/A>  Accepting your
$3000 hardware cost, then for $4000, you've got an Apple server that
will do 150 users.

  If I listen to Google, a Win 2008 CAL is $26.  That's $3900 for CALs
alone.  Ignoring volume discounts, of course.

  Now, a Windows CAL is good for any number of servers, while a Apple
server OS license for unlimited clients is only good for one server.
OTOH, the Win 2008 OS itself is around $800.

  None of the above is intended to be comprehensive, nor conclusive.

> I torrent the damn thing instead.

  One may want to avoid boasting of software piracy in a public forum.

-- Ben