From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:30 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: UAC--argh...

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Miller Bonnie
L.<mille...@mukilteo.wednet.edu> wrote:
> So, I've been trying REALLY hard to just get used to UAC with WS08 ...

  The following is my opinion and analysis.  It differs significantly
from the Microsoft party line.

  Disable admin approval mode (AAM) for all administrators.    Keep UAC enabled.

  AAM is just a lot of smoke and mirrors.  The right way to do things
is to run as a "limited user" except when needed, and have a separate
admin account for admin stuff.  If you do that, you don't need AAM.
Indeed, AAM makes things *worse*, because admins get so used to
clicking dozens of prompts that they'll miss important prompts.

  However, Microsoft created a culture that expects to have admin
rights.  That includes many users, many programmers, many end-user
customers, many of Microsoft's customers, and many ISVs.  Simply
saying "don't run as admin" wasn't working.  I don't think it's likely
that changing OOBE (out-of-box experience) to create separate accounts
would help, either.  People (or software) would just use the admin
account for everything.

  So AAM was created.  AAM is basically an attempt at letting a user
have admin rights but not actually running with admin rights.  The end
result may or may not do anything to help lusers who insist on having
admin rights all the time, but it just gets in the way of IT
professionals who have been using separate admin accounts for years.

  I recommend keeping UAC enabled because it does have other benefits.
 Filesystem and registry virtualization needs UAC to work, and FS&R
virtualization is (in my experience) the *only* actual improvement in
Vista.  UAC also lets Windows prompt for alternate credentials when an
unprivileged user attempts a privileged operation.  Thus an admin can
provide privileged credentials when needed, without a full-blown
separate logon.

  The above is my opinion and analysis.  It differs significantly from
the Microsoft party line.

-- Ben