On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:38, Matthew W. Ross<mr...@ephrataschools.org> wrote:
> Hey list.
>
> Since nobody had a good network mailing list, I'll as my question here.
>
> We have a large flat network which I'm looking at splitting up. It was
> 10.x.x.x/8, looking to bring it to several 10.20.x.x/16s. I've got my
> configuration of the router figured out, except
> DHCP. We statically assign our IPs to individual machines... but I don't see
> how that's possible with a routed network like this... especially for mobile
> users who move across subnets
> from time to time.
>
> I could install a DHCP server for each subnet, but this could be tedious.
> Using my switch's DHCP-Relay seems like a good idea, but if a user moves to a
> different subnet, won't that user
> get an invalid IP address?
>
> Any other ideas on how to get past this?
>

> --Matt Ross
> Ephrata School District

As others have pointed out, helper addresses on your layer3 switch(es)
will do most of the work for you - getting all of your DHCP requests
to a central DHCP server with multiple scopes is pretty much the right
approach.

If your environment were much larger, one or more of these might help,
and I'm putting them out there just for FYI sake:

The reply by aichainz in this thread is useful -
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/04/26/2251224

I've looked at these packages before, but have never had a chance to
implement any of them:

http://www.net.cmu.edu/netreg/

http://www.solarwinds.com/

http://freshmeat.net/projects/ipplan