From: Matthew W. Ross [mr...@ephrataschools.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:38 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: DHCP and multiple Subnets; Multiple DHCP server or DHCP-Relays?

Hey list.

Since nobody had a good network mailing list, I'll as my question here.

We have a large flat network which I'm looking at splitting up. It was
10.x.x.x/8, looking to bring it to several 10.20.x.x/16s. I've got my
configuration of the router figured out, except DHCP. We statically assign our
IPs to individual machines... but I don't see how that's possible with a routed
network like this... especially for mobile users who move across subnets from
time to time.

I could install a DHCP server for each subnet, but this could be tedious. Using
my switch's DHCP-Relay seems like a good idea, but if a user moves to a
different subnet, won't that user get an invalid IP address?

Any other ideas on how to get past this?

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District