On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Gene
Giannamore<gene.giannam...@abideinternational.com> wrote:
> I don’t know why, but PC always means to me  Personal Computer (not an IBM
> compatible, or WinTel, or x86/x64). Problem is, I can’t think of anything
> better. I always think of personal computer as any computing device,
> intended for personal ownership.

  Me too, except I think "personal use", not just ownership, i.e.,
"individual use".  In contrast to a server, which is used by many.  So
laptops and desktop computers in the company are "PCs".

  For what most Windows runs on, that's that "IBM-PC architecture".
Or "i386".  (Or sometimes "x86-64", these days.)

  On occasion I'll also use "GPC" for "general-purpose computer", when
I need to contrast a Wintel box with test equipment or a PLC or
something.

  Other people's usage never really bothered me; I'm just precise in my own.

-- Ben