I'm making a push to 19" wide screens for our tax department.  At this size
in a portrait rotation allows us to view page length documents at a readable
size, and view the entire page of a tax return at one time, without any
scrolling.  I myself am using a 22.5" in portrait mode, and in addition to
two other 15" monitors (one is the built in laptop monitor) and will
probably rarely change it back to landscape.
Choice of monitor depends on the applications used and how the end users use
said applications.