From: Len Hammond [mailto:lenhammo...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:30 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Monitor: regular or widescreen

That's exactly the right reason for dual monitors. Will the productivity of
the user be enhanced with dual monitors - or any other piece of equipment -
be it mouse, special keyboard or other input device like a spaceball that
some of the CAD guys like. Having used an old 21" CRT 4:3 CAD monitor to
give 1600x1200 I got used to the 1200 height. When I went looking for a flat
panel to replace the power hungry tube I looked for something that would
give me 1200 in height. Finally settled on a Samsung 24" wide monitor giving
1920x1200. I absolutely love it. It did take a while to get used to the
extra screen real estate but am now spoiled. And recently I had an older 15"
4:3 panel come my way so I stuck it on the second monitor port of my
desktop. Interesting. As I use a KVM for the main monitor so that I can work
on other machines, while the 15" is direct, I can have a help window open on
the 15 while working on the 24 on a different machine. With a wireless mouse
direct I can still scroll the help screen too. Now I am spoiled - but having
fun.

Standardized is most often better in larger environments too. Less bruised
egos that way. I had always let the tasks performed determine the equipment
on the desk, not the users position or ego. Often that did not make me many
friends.

Bottom line: More screen is better if you have the desk space (and budget)
to support it.

When determining the brand to buy (if you have a choice) not all monitors
are created equal. Take a high power magnifier, something like 20 or 30
power, with you to some place that has many brands on display. Get up close
& personal with the screen. After looking a bunch, from a distance you will
begin to notice the clarity, or lack thereof. The close up will show you why
the clarity is there or lacking. It was sure an education for me. When
looking for my monitor I hit Best Buy, Staples, Office Max and Circuit City
(I know you no longer have the option of CC). Look at the HD TVs as well and
you will see the difference in cost right on the screen.

There were a couple of brands I had favored and a couple that I had not
considered looking at before reading this list for recommendations and
spending the time in the stores actually looking closely at the screens. The
sales people were not real happy about it - I was too critical and then
didn't buy it there - I got my monitor from Tiger. I've been very happy with
the Samsung I finally selected and will definitely look at Samsung if I ever
get my Budget Director (wife) to fund a large flat panel for the family
room.

Probably got a little wordy here but I wanted to share my experience in the
search to replace my aging CRT. I figure the electricity alone saved over
the first two years of use will pay for my new monitor.

Len Hammond
CSI:Hartland
lenhamm...@gmail.com