The database in Exchange hasn't caused me any problems in years...   What's
your particular concern with it?

As for the proprietary aspect, whatever "standards-based" mail server you
use will only really be standards based in how the mail is transported.  How
it is stored, and how the UI is interacted with, will differ, and likely
cause you some transition pain to any other product.

-ASB
-------
 http://Home.ASBzone.com/ASB/
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/AndrewBaker