We got a 20TB iSCSI SAN last year from StoneFly (I had demo'd them with my
previous employer).

They are fast (both the SAS and SATA modules), and stable.  Easy to use and
excellent pricing.

And they support NAS functionality as a front-end to any portion of the
storage.

-*ASB*: http://XeeSM.com/AndrewBaker
 Providing Competitive Advantage through Effective IT Leadership

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Steve Ens <stevey...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm in the same boat...looking at around 5TBs, sort of have it narrowed
> down to lefthand or equallogic.  It's a tough choice.  A friend of mine went
> with datacore software...that looks good too.  Definitely cheaper/
>

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 9:06 AM, John Aldrich <jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com
> > wrote:
>
>>  So, we’re working on getting our first big “storage appliance” here. As
>> the IT Manager it’s my job to get quotes, etc. I’m talking to all the “big
>> boys” out there and getting a lot of good quotes. My requirements are fairly
>> simple:
>>
>> 1)      On the order of 5 Terabytes of storage (*significantly* more than
>> we are using currently.)
>>
>> 2)      Redundant everything (disks, controllers, network, power, etc.)
>>

>> That’s about it. We are looking, eventually, to bring email in-house,
>> probably using Kerio mail server as it’s got the features we need at a price
>> we can live with. The problem is that I’m getting quotes all over the place.
>> The last quote I got was for a QNap ISCSI NAS with 6 1 Tb drives, but it
>> doesn’t have the redundancy I’m looking for (no redundant controllers.)
>>

>> I’ve gotten quotes from vendors for HP, LSI, NetApp, QNap and am working
>> on an Equallogic quote. Anyone else I should be looking at? Our plan is to
>> get two of these for DR/Business Continuity purposes and have one of them at
>> a remote office, and possibly even back the remote one up to tape. J
>>

>> Am I being too paranoid? Not enough? Anything else I should be looking at?
>> At first I was really wanting single-instance storage, but the LSI vendor
>> kind of talked me out of that being a requirement. I get a report every
>> night from the current storage detailing all duplicate files, and there
>> aren’t that many so I think I can get away with not having
>> de-duplication/single-instance storage.
>>

>> Your thoughts, please?
>>
>> [image: John-Aldrich][image: Tile-Tools]

<<image001.jpg>>

<<image002.jpg>>