To make a long story short, we will now be forced to use sysprep, which is
what Microsoft has wanted all along, which effectively renders any imaging
tool useless.  The standard stuff about imaging part way through is only a
partial solution, and while it may apply to physical boxes, it will mean
that cloned VMs will have the same machine SID.

Our practice in the past has been to clone the VMs outside the domain, run
NewSID and rename them in the process, then joining them to the domain.

We had to do this because we have one situation where 14 separate computers
are all build from the same image.  The log in as a *local* account, yet map
a drive to a network share using a domain account.  Since the passwords of
the local account and the domain account are the same, this works.  The
machines are kiosks, and auto-logon.  The users never see the passwords.
Until NewSID came along, this was a horrible nightmare.
Servers would occasionally and randomly deny access, usually fixed by a
reboot.

If two machines have the same SID, then the first local created on each
machine will have EXACTLY the same SID, and will appear to all other
computers as exactly the same user, since the RID portion of each SID will
be the same, and the base portion will also be the same.

Please keep NewSID

--MB