Or as I've often seen it put: "absence of evidence is not evidence of
absence.." - which I *think* came from CSI

Paul G.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: 05 November 2009 19:18
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: NewSID retired - The Machine SID Duplication Myth

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Andrew S. Baker <asbz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think that Mark was saying that the local machine SID doesn't
> matter ...

  Not in those words, but I can't see any other way to interpret
things.  He said that there was no need to worry about it being
unique, and so NewSID is now retired, and the SID functionality is
slated to be removed from SYSPREP.

> He is pretty much concluding that there are no known scenarios where the
> machine SID is needed outside of the machine, and thus no need for it to
be
> unique across machines.

  Indeed, and I think that's the problem a lot of people have.  There
is a world of difference between "There is no known problem" and "It
is known there are no problems".

-- Ben