From: Bill Monicher [mailto:bmacd5...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 2:52 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: NewSID retired - The Machine SID Duplication Myth

To make a long story short, we will now be forced to use sysprep, which is what
Microsoft has wanted all along, which effectively renders any imaging tool
useless.  The standard stuff about imaging part way through is only a partial
solution, and while it may apply to physical boxes, it will mean that cloned
VMs will have the same machine SID.

Our practice in the past has been to clone the VMs outside the domain, run
NewSID and rename them in the process, then joining them to the domain.

We had to do this because we have one situation where 14 separate computers are
all build from the same image.  The log in as a *local* account, yet map a
drive to a network share using a domain account.  Since the passwords of the
local account and the domain account are the same, this works.  The machines
are kiosks, and auto-logon.  The users never see the passwords.  Until NewSID
came along, this was a horrible nightmare.
Servers would occasionally and randomly deny access, usually fixed by a reboot.

If two machines have the same SID, then the first local created on each machine
will have EXACTLY the same SID, and will appear to all other computers as
exactly the same user, since the RID portion of each SID will be the same, and
the base portion will also be the same.

Please keep NewSID

--MB

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 6:16 AM, Ben Scott
<mailvor...@gmail.com<mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com>> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Mike Gill
<lis...@canbyfoursquare.com<mailto:lis...@canbyfoursquare.com>> wrote:
> http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx
 The comments are interesting.

 One thing that is clear is that people are not clear about the
difference between the SID of the local machine, and the SID of the
machine's domain account.

 (My understanding: If you clone a machine which is joined to a
domain, then the clone will try to use the same machine account SID on
the domain, and fail miserably.  NewSID won't fix this; NewSID just
changes the SID of the local machine.  This is why SYSPREP forces a
domain re-join.  So if you cloned a domain member and then had
problems, that's likely irrelevant to the machine local SID.)

 But I do agree with a lot of the comments in that just because the
people Mark talked to could not think of a failure mode doesn't mean
there won't be one.

 There is a lot of code in Windows that nobody really groks.
Microsoft calls this "legacy code", but since it's still shipping with
the OS and doing important things, it's still critical that it works.
Who knows what might be using the local machine SID?

 Some of the comments also suggest that some other Microsoft products
might use the local machine SID as a convenient unique ID.

 Some of the comments also suggest that some third-party products
might use the local machine SID as a convenient unique ID.

 I think it's very good that people are looking at this issue and
examining it with fresh eyes.  Common knowledge is commonly wrong, and
should be checked.  But the conclusion that the machine local SID
doesn't matter seems premature at this point.

-- Ben

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: The information transmitted, or contained or
attached to or with this Notice is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain Protected Health Information (PHI),
confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission,
dissemination, or other use of, and taking any action in reliance upon this
information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient without
the express written consent of the sender are prohibited. This information may
be protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996
(HIPAA), and other Federal and Florida laws. Improper or unauthorized use or
disclosure of this information could result in civil and/or criminal penalties.
Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need
to.

This email and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the
intended recipient(s). If you are not the named recipient you should not read,
distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions expressed in this
email are those of the author and do not represent those of the company.
Warning: Although precautions have been taken to make sure no viruses are
present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or
damage that arise from the use of this email or attachments.