From: Sam Cayze
To: NT System Admin Issues
Sent: Tue Nov 10 12:29:36 2009
Subject: RE: INTERNET SLOWNESS
You fire people for Streaming Radio?  Yikes.  I recommend you to do some
configuration on your firewall to regulate bandwidth so stuff like this doesn’t
bring you down.  There are many good reasons for streaming in a business
environment, whether it is ambient listening or something like webinars,
training, podcasts, etc.
IT’s job is to keep the network up, HR/Management’s job is to keep the
workforce productive.  If the network suffers, the whole business suffers – but
that’s IT’s fault, not the person streaming a radio station.
A quick call to the ISP can easily help too.  The can put a monitor on the
line, verify all T1’s are lit, and even run a bandwidth report.  Depending on
your router, there may even be some access to reports on what protocol or IP is
eating all your bandwidth.
Sam Cayze
Information Technology Administrator
ROLLOUTS