+1

I would be very wary of adding a termination to the middle of an
ethernet cable run.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:38 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: facilities wiring question

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:48 PM, James Kerr <cluster...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> New facility. The electricians ran wire to a location on the third
> floor but they ultimately need to go to the second floor, so they will

> run cable from the second floor server room up to the location on the
third floor.

  Might be easier to put some network switches at the third floor
location.

  Be warned that if these runs were already near limits due to distance,
putting an extra few sets of terminations in may cause you to exceed
spec limits.  Ethernet isn't like power or analog phone wiring, where
you can splice and junction as many times as you want.

-- Ben