I doubt he was implying that.

However, It's really hard to get retail drives that are of the exact
same rev of their BIOS, and are guaranteed to interoperate with your
RAID card. This becomes especially problematic if you don't overbuy
(to provide one or more shelf spares) and have to replace one of the
drives later.

I know - I've been bitten by this, with a 3ware card. I have to assume
that the same issue can crop up with other RAID cards, including HP
and Dell.

Kurt