Public IM federation with AOL and MSN now no longer requires a per
user license.  Yahoo still does.  Text Archiving can be built into it.
 It has a subset of Live Meeting features as well.

note:  I am in the midle of migrating from LCS2005 to OCS2007r2.  LCS
was merely chat based, OCS is multi-media based.

Further notes:  If you integrate OCS with your telecom system (i.e.
it's on the list) you can even do remote phone calls through your
communicator client (no vpn needed).  I can't wait to test the OCS
version.  LCS 'worked' internally with some client issues but
Microsoft told us that would happen before we tested it anyway.