There is a clear upgrade path from SQL Express to SQL Full, for both the
vendor and the customer.   And, the limits of SQL Express are not such that
they impose a whole different set support issues from its big sibling.

This makes it easier for the vendor to support, particularly if they are
producing an AD-integrated, Windows-only product.

-ASB: http://XeeSM.com/AndrewBaker

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 19:01, Angus Scott-Fleming <angu...@geoapps.com>
> wrote:
> > On 9 Mar 2010 at 16:03, Kurt Buff  wrote:
> >
> >> Well, one further limitation: SQL Express doesn't (at least didn't,
> >> this may have changed) have a backup/dump/data deletion/truncate
> >> utility that comes with - one has to be written. This has actually
> >> bitten at least one product I know of.
> >
> > FWIW http://www.google.com/search?q="sql+express"+backup
>
> <snip>
>
> Which does pretty much make my point. It's sort of available, but you
> have to work to do it. Not that it's horrendous, or anything like it,
> but more thought has to be put into it. Of course, that's why it's
> 'Express', and not 'Full'.
>
> Of course, pretty much the same effort would have to be expended for
> the OSS alternatives. Perhaps more, even.
>
> I am *not* trying to say that the OSS is better, in this case. I was
> just looking for insight into whether or not a conscious decision had
> been made to go with SQL Express vs. the OSS alternatives, and if so
> what made the SQL Express the viable alternative. Let's just say I
> have a different motive than simply promoting OSS in this case at
> least.
>
> Kurt
>

> ly to all

Kurt Buff to NT
show details 11:53 PM (9 hours ago)
wrote:
> On 9 Mar 2010 at 16:03, Kurt Buff  wrote:
>
>> Well, one further limitation: SQL Express doesn't (at least didn't,
>> this may have changed) have a backup/dump/data deletion/truncate
>> utility that comes with - one has to be written. This has actually
>> bitten at least one product I know of.
>
> FWIW http://www.google.com/search?q="sql+express"+backup

<snip>

Which does pretty much make my point. It's sort of available, but you
have to work to do it. Not that it's horrendous, or anything like it,
but more thought has to be put into it. Of course, that's why it's
'Express', and not 'Full'.

Of course, pretty much the same effort would have to be expended for
the OSS alternatives. Perhaps more, even.

I am *not* trying to say that the OSS is better, in this case. I was
just looking for insight into whether or not a conscious decision had
been made to go with SQL Express vs. the OSS alternatives, and if so
what made the SQL Express the viable alternative. Let's just say I
have a different motive than simply promoting OSS in this case at
least.

Kurt
Kurt is not available to chat
[image: Open message in new window]

*Send*

Save Now

Discard
Draft autosaved at 9:30 AM (0 minutes ago)
From:
Andrew S. Baker <asbz...@gmail.com>  change
 To:  Add Cc | Add Bcc | Edit Subject    Attach a file    Add event
invitation
                   « Plain TextCheck Spelling[image: Change language]