I prefer to think of it as:

"A consensus of opinion from great minds lend validity to the proposed
solution."

-sc

From: Andrew S. Baker [mailto:asbz...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:34 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: How would you go about this?

Thanks for making my commentary superfluous, SC.  :)

-ASB: http://XeeSM.com/AndrewBaker

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Steven M. Caesare
<scaes...@caesare.com> wrote:

We have seem extended server life as well, for a variety of reasons, one
particular of which having been a significant number of applications
being deprecated, and the development effort is happening on new
platforms, so there's no incentive to upgrade the old systems , as they
will be EOL'ed once the user base is migrated.

For boxes that may have been failing, we simply VM'ed many of them
(often bumping up the resources available to them in the process).

With the advent of virtualization, I see us adding/upgrading VM servers
on a semi-regular basis, increasing the resources given to VM's and/or
migrating the heaviest ones to the new boxes, and slowly retiring the
old.

The life cycle I suspect look similar to what it did for the physical
boxes (3-5 yrs with some maint. Costs), but the VM's they host will
likely be much more fluid...

-sc

So