That entirely depends on your purpose, business and cost hardware
issues would have.  We go on a three year cycle here.  Do we have
boxes older for various reasons?  Yes, but those are decided on a case
by case basis.

Support.  How important to the business is it?  If it's important,
then it gets replaced.  Period.  Hardware cost is a small part of the
equation.  Downtime, loss of business, potential loss of access to the
data and how much that would cost the business, etc.

Tactical.  Is their new hardware technology coming out soon from our
HW vendor?  If yes, we may delay new hardware (new HP series later
this year?) so that we will get the benefit of the new technologies
sooner.

If you can stretch your budget and risk on hardware for 5 years and
all the associated OS and associated application updates associated
with it, then that's is perfectly alright.  But if you business would
have a negative cost then there is nothing wrong with updating in a
timely manner.

We have much older systems out there.  We find them irritating and
darn near impossible to get sign off on upgrading them 'because it's
working fine' when no, not really, it strains the support people more
when things go wrong on them.

Again, this is all down to your business requirements, not 'replacing
hardware sooner then 5 years is just wrong'.

Steven Peck