From: paul d [mailto:pdw1...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:33 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: need suggestions...iPad in a Windows enterprise, anyone?

I was read the thread this morning and then found this article on Network World:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/042010-ipad-healthcare.html

BTW, my environment is pretty much like your's except we're only single site.
I also thought about the iPad in our environment.

> From: jra...@eaglemds.com
> To: ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:44:49 -0400
> Subject: need suggestions...iPad in a Windows enterprise, anyone?
>
> Ok, I need some insight/thoughts/suggestions...especially if any of you have
> come up against this.
>
> I have a pure Windows & Cisco environment, W2k3 AD, 802.11n with 802.1x
> authentication (we don't support 802.11b, and 802.11g is on the way out the
> door). All desktops are XP, with a small handful of 2000 Pro boxes left out
> in the field. We've never supported Vista or Apple-anything on our network,
> and pulled the last 9x box off of our network years ago. We're close to
> getting rid of all of the 2000 clients off, and we're starting to look at
> Windows 7. We're multi-specialty, multi-location, physician-owned healthcare
> provider, which means HIPAA is of significant concern. Not much else applies,
> since we're not publicly traded (aside from common sense and the law in
> general). We have about 425 employees and around 65 physicians (most of the
> physicians are shareholders).
>
> I've done a good job of keeping the iPod touch and iPhone users off of the
> network thus far, because we simply don't have the people in house to be able
> to support any more devices.
>
> Enter the iPad, Apple's answer to the Tablet PC.
>
> We now have physicians who are starting to ask for iPad access on the
> network. I'm not sure why, but I suppose because they think it will be so
> much better than the Lenovo X200 Tablet PCs that we JUST bought them for use
> with our EMR system. We do not yet have a functional wireless guest network.
>
> I've tried connecting a 64 Gig iPod touch to our wireless network to no
> avail, and then discovered that apparently the iPod touch doesn't like hidden
> networks. I'm not about to start broadcasting my SSID... this gives me pause
> about even considering an iPad, not to mention that I wouldn't be able to
> control the machine or authenticate the machine against the network.
>
> Anyway, do any of you have any arguments for or against allowing the
> iPad/iPod/iPhone, both from a support standpoint and a security standpoint?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Jonathan L. Raper, A+, MCSA, MCSE
> Technology Coordinator
> Eagle Physicians & Associates, PA
> jra...@eaglemds.com
> www.eaglemds.com
>

> Any medical information contained in this electronic message is CONFIDENTIAL
> and privileged. It is unlawful for unauthorized persons to view, copy,
> disclose, or disseminate CONFIDENTIAL information. This electronic message
> may contain information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. It is
> intended only for the use of the individual(s) and/or entity named as
> recipients in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of this
> message, please notify the sender immediately and delete this material from
> [...]
The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Get
started.<http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_3>

NOTICE: Florida has a broad public records law. Most written communications to
or from this entity are public records that will be disclosed to the public and
the media upon request. E-mail communications may be subject to public
disclosure.