From: Mayo, Bill [mailto:bem...@pittcountync.gov]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 11:01 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Steve Jobs on Flash

I am also a Mac user and an iPhone user.  While I agree that Jobs is a
bit of a "character" (to put it nicely), I believe all the points that
he makes in the open letter are valid.  It is a complete joke that Adobe
claims Flash is "open"; it's kind of like saying that Windows is "open"
because it is so prevalent. The ironic thing about that whole
Apple/Adobe feud is that Adobe is around because of the Mac market.  It
wasn't until Apple had their "near death experience" that Adobe really
started selling applications to Windows users.  While you can't fault
Adobe for shifting their focus at that point, the reality is that they
did, and their Mac products have suffered for it.

As for the logic in prohibiting cross-platform development tools, this
very thing was a large reason that Apple had their "near death
experience" in the first place.  Back when Apple relied on 3rd parties
to provide the development environment, folks started making these
cross-platform compilers, and what you got were all these hideous,
non-Mac like programs that ran like crap on the Mac--the most notable of
which was Office.  It didn't matter if Apple added all kinds of all cool
things to the OS if these development environments didn't support it.

As for the part about not running what you want on your own hardware, I
would just point out that the iPhone/et al are very different from the
Mac.  As has been discussed here numerous times, Mac OS X is based on
BSD Unix, and you can compile and run any number of open source programs
and can buy/download any application and run it.  You can debate the
merits of the different approach (and the reasons) they have with the
iPhone, but I think there is an important distinction to be made there.
Apple is not targeting folks like many people on this list with this
device.  Your Joe Average user just wants something that works and the
app store model suits that very well.  It is also true that a key
differentiator for these devices is that they are rapidly adding new
features/functions and if developers are using cross platform
environments, it is a perfectly valid point that those applications will
not take advantage of the new features.  If the applications don't take
advantage of the new features, then the differentiation factor between
the iPhone and other devices begins to fade.  In other words, Apple is
doing what is best for Apple (at least in their judgment, you might not
agree).  I don't know of any other company that operates any
differently.

As for me, I wish that they wouldn't do some of the things that they do,
but the positives of the iPhone still far outweigh any negatives for me.
That is obviously true for a whole lot of people, as Apple apparently
was the number 1 cell phone provider last quarter (edging out Motorola
for the first time ever).