On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Jonathan Link <jonathan.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know a SOHO who generates $300,000 annually in profit, so again, it's all
> a matter of perspective.

  True enough.

> You hadn't described budgetary requirements, except to say that Quickbooks
> is "expensive."

  Good point.

  They don't really have a budget for this, except so say that they
have very modest needs and want value.  In other words, keep things as
cheap as possible without sacrificing useful functionality.  I think
that's a smart approach.

  (It's a small manufacturing company which was rescued from financial
collapse by the owner of my nominal employer.  They have two or three
full-time employees, plus a part-time office worker.  The GM is also
tasked from my employer.  Guess where IT comes from.  ;-)  )

> However, accountants fees can quickly make the expense of
> of QB incidental.

  Unless the cost of the accountant is somehow proportional to the
cost of QuickBooks, I don't really see that as relevant.  Paying a lot
for QuickBooks just because something else costs more is not good
business sense.

  Now, it may be that using QuickBooks would lower accountant fees,
since QuickBooks is the most common package.  That's a good point, and
something that normally would be worth investigating.  However, due to
the ownership situation described above, my employer is also loaning
our accounting staff.  So accountant fees are zero.  Unfortunately, we
can't use the ERP software my employer runs for this other company, so
I'm looking at other software.

  In any event, I've found that examining alternatives to "what
everyone else does" often pays off.  The smaller the business, the
more nimble they can be, so this is an opportunity.  If your stance is
"Just use QuickBooks", well, that's valid, but here I'm interested in
hearing about alternatives people have tried.  :)

-- Ben