"Nuke it from orbit... it's the only way to be sure."

-sc

-----Original Message-----
From: John Aldrich [mailto:jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 11:15 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Wierd logoff / restart issue

Got a laptop running XP Pro. It's had some malware on it that has been
particularlly difficult to find. The only way I found it was to reboot
into safe mode, command-prompt only and run a scan on it. The malware
was My Web Search and one other (sorry, I don't recall.) The laptop has
one small issue left, but I'm not sure if it's caused by malware or is
the after-effects of the malware. It doesn't want to shut down, ever. It
sits there saying "logging off" until you push and hold the power
button. I really don't want to have to rebuild this laptop, as I don't
have a restore disk for it....
--
Thanks,
John Aldrich