While I don't whip out an OSI stack number, it's not uncommon to be
troubleshooting systems interactions and isolate to specific layers (is this a
http issue or an IP issue? Can we ARP successfully? Etc...)

Again, just because multiple conceptual layers map to fewer layer in practice
doesn’t mean those functions don't exist... not to mention that assuming that
TCP/IP as implemented in current stacks will forever be the only protocol seems
a tad shortsighted, no?

-sc