From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 2:41 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: DNS settings tool

David W. McSpadden [mailto:dav...@imcu.com] wrote:
> My problem is I don't understand it enough to give information.

  You should probabbly call in a paid consultant/IT services firm,
then.  Unfortunately I'm not in the Indiana area so I can't recommend
one.

  I'm not getting all your mail on this list.  The only reason I even
saw your mail is someone else replied to it.  I suspect your recent
changes did something wrong, and your mail is sometimes getting
filtered as spam.

  It's going to be very hard to fix your email over email.  See above
about paid experts.

  I'm not trying to be a jerk; I'm trying to give you the best advice
I can.  To me, it looks like you're in way over your head and may be
on the verge of serious Internet infrastructure trouble.  If you
really want to try and fix that by email on a volunteer mailing list,
I'll certainly try to help, but your boss may fire you first.

> Now I want to go to the Internet and query those two domains and make sure
> the MX, A, PTR, and TXT(SPF) records have all been updated correctly.

  If you just want to view what the records at the nameservers
currently are, open up a command prompt and do:

        nslookup -type=ANY %DOMAIN_NAME% %AUTHORITATIVE_DNS_SERVER_NAME%

  For example:

        nslookup -type=ANY imcu.com. pdns1.ultradns.net.

  If you don't know your registered nameservers, ask the root servers:

        nslookup -type=ANY imcu.com. a.root-servers.net.

  They will prolly give you a delegation to another set of servers --
that is, you will just see a list of nameservers and IP address.  Pick
one of the offered nameservers and repeat until you get the answers
you're looking for.

  For example, I can tell you that currently, <imcu.org.> is delegated
to UltraDNS.  <pdns1.ultradns.net.> says imcu.org.> an MX of
<mx1.imcu.org.>, which has IP address <206.18.123.221>.  The SPF
record specifies that same IP address, and excludes all others.

  But I have no idea if that is "correct" or not.  I have no knowledge
of your infrastructure or what you're trying to do, the way things
were before or what they're supposed to be now.

> The prefixes (I probably used the wrong name) are like pop.imcu.org,
> smtp.imcu.org, mail.imcu.org, www.imcu.org like that....

  Technically, those are called "child domains" or "subdomains", but
what do you want to do with them?

  I can tell you that <pdns1.ultradns.net.> tells me that
<www.imcu.org.> has IP address <12.145.177.146>, but has no MX record.
 (But you probabbly don't want your web server to have an MX record.)
There does seem to be a website that responds to the name
<www.imcu.org> at that IP address.  You're "Indiana Members Credit
Union", right?

  There's no tool you can run from a third-party website that will
talk your DNS sub-tree automatically -- your nameservers are
configured *NOT* to tell the public all the records under your domain
(zone transfer).  You will need access to your DNS zone file (or the
UltraDNS equivalent).

-- Ben