From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
To: NT System Admin Issues [mailto:ntsysad...@lyris.sunbelt-software.com]
Sent: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 13:45:34 -0500
Subject: Re: RE: SAN Solution

Very good data.

  Single file copied, or multiple files? If multiple files, how many and
  average size?

  Robocopy, xcopy or just copy - and what switches?

  Picky, picky, picky...

  Kurt

  On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 08:40, Bob Hartung <bhart...@wiscoind.com> wrote:

  > Well, I can't attach SATA drives to my servers but here's the test I ran.
  >
  > Server: Dell PowerEdge 2650 with
  >
  > E: Drive - internal PERC3 SCSI RAID 5 (Ultra320) E: Drive
  > F: Drive - external SCSI Drive Array attached to PERC4 SCSI RAID 5 (Ultra
320)
  > G: Drive - Drobo Elite connected via Gigabit Ethernet
  >
  > I copied 2.1 GB from E: to F: in 4:36 or 476.9 MB/Min.
  > I copied 2.1 GB from E: to G: in 5:18 or 413.9 MB/Min.
  >

  > ----------------------
  >
  > Bob Hartung
  > Wisco Industries, Inc.
  > 736 Janesville St.
  > Oregon, WI 53575
  > Tel: (608) 835-3106 x215
  > Fax: (608) 835-7399
  > e-mail: bhartung(at)wiscoind.com
  >
  > ________________________________

enterprise. We went with the enterprise (DREL1A21-WD2002FYPS-8). You should be
able to pick the unit up for around $6000.

  > For connection, I'm using a stand-alone HP Procurve Gigabit switch. Each
server has 2 nics. Each server's 2nd nic card is connected to the HP Procurve
and setup on different subnet than the regular network uses.

  > It took me awhile to work out the MS ISCSI initiator stuff since I'd had no
experience with it before.

  > And I don't know if I'd characterize it as "instead of a SAN". As far as I
can see, it's a SAN.

  > ----------------------
  >
  > Bob Hartung
  > Wisco Industries, Inc.
  > 736 Janesville St.
  > Oregon, WI 53575
  > Tel: (608) 835-3106 x215
  > Fax: (608) 835-7399
  > e-mail: bhartung(at)wiscoind.com
  >
  > ________________________________

to your existing servers, and approximately how much does something like that
cost? That might be something I would want to look at using instead of a SAN.

workstation images I create in Acronis. It is also the disk-to-disk storage I
use for Arcserve server backups.

  > I chose the somewhat more expensive Drobo Elite over a number of NAS
alternatives for a number of reasons...

  > Rather than simulate MS network privaleges like most NASs do, I preferred
being able to simply share the Drobo's space via my existing servers. That way
I'm using MS sharing and security.
  > It's a SAN network which segregates storage traffic from the rest of the
network.
  > It supplies a pool of storage that I can parcel out to any of my servers as
conditions evolve.
  > I've got 16 TB of space. And it's all dynamically available to each
partition. It took me a while to get this. You make every partition a 16 TB
partition. That way, all partitions can use available storage without having to
change partition sizes by destroying them and recreating them.
  > You can stick in any size SATA drive and it's added to the storage pool.
Right now I have 8 2TB drives but when 3 and 4TB drives come out, I can swap
out a 2TB drive and increase storage. Doesn't matter which slot you stick a
drive in either.
  > Currently I'm using 2 drives for fault tolerance so if one fails, the RAID
continues to operate with redundancy.

  > ----------------------
  >
  > Bob Hartung
  > Wisco Industries, Inc.
  > 736 Janesville St.
  > Oregon, WI 53575
  > Tel: (608) 835-3106 x215
  > Fax: (608) 835-7399
  > e-mail: bhartung(at)wiscoind.com
  >
  > ________________________________

contain confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any review, dissemination or copying of this e-mail and
attachments, if any, or the information contained herein, is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive
information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply
e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

good for backups, or a small single (physical) server environment.

  > On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Jay Dale <jay.d...@3-gig.com> wrote:
  >
  > It works fine for just the backups, but we want something that not only can
hold the backups but also a data repo for the VM's as well as the user data and
image backups of laptops.