On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Haralson, Joe (GE Comm Fin, non-GE)
<joe.haral...@ge.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a good Disk cleaning free tool? I currently use DBAN but
> was exploring other options.

  DISKPART has a "CLEAN ALL" command which writes zeros to every block
on the disk.  The chief advantages of this are (1) it's free, (2) it's
simple, and (3) it doesn't need a separate boot.

  It doesn't do any "fancy" overwrite patterns, but I'm not sure those
really matter anymore.  Government agencies say overwrite is no longer
sufficient, so if you're *that* worried overwrite won't help, and if
you're not that worried writing zeros is prolly good enough.

  However, the writing zeros part is broken in at least Win 2003 and
Win XP 64-bit.    See MSKB 952630 for details and the hotfix.  No
mention of other releases, so I guess they are not broken (?).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952630

  (How do you screw up writing zeros until EOF?  Sometimes I think
Microsoft couldn't fall out of bed without needing to install a
Service Pack and a patch first.)

-- Ben