On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:56 AM, S Powell <powe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are a whole slew of security reasons why you'll not find one
> that you can run remotely, or not boot from the CD.

  You can certainly do raw disk overwrites remotely on Unix/Linux
(including the Unixy part of Mac OS X).

  This will do a write zeros to every block (single-pass) on the first disk:

        dd if=/zev/zero of=/dev/sda

  This will do a multi-pass overwrite with sophisticated patterns
and/or random bytes (assuming you have the GNU toolset installed):

        shred /dev/sda

  It helps that "remote" vs "local" is a lot more transparent on *nix
vs Windows, but there's still no technical reason I know of why
Windows shouldn't be able to do a similar thing remotely, for
non-system disks.  You'd prolly need a special utility to write the
disk directly, but it should be doable.

-- Ben