Hmm we did that ~ 2 yrs ago.  We used to assign passwords but *finally* sold
it to upper mgt to do it via Active Dir and the built in complexity policy
(2003 native mode).  It went pretty well, nobody lost access, they had to
change their passwords at next logon.  We announced it well before hand
(many times).  Still had much wailing and gnashing of teeth but it's been
worth it!  We even went through the expiry of passwords and peeps were able
to change them (mostly no hand holding).  We added the accountinfo.dll or
whatever it is called to see when passwords were set on the DC's for each
acct.