On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Maglinger, Paul <pmaglin...@scvl.com> wrote:
> Interesting, but isn’t A/C power typically a sine wave?

  Cheaper UPSes use a square or stepped wave as an "approximation".
For many types of equipment (in particular, the switching power
supplies used in most IT gear), that works just fine.  (I've been told
you can run many PC power supplies off a *DC* input at the right
voltage.)

  More expensive UPSes output a "pure" sine wave.  Some equipment
really wants that.  In particular, AC motors.

> 60Hz is the norm, is it not?

  In North America.  In Europe and some other parts of the world, 50
Hz is the standard.

> Surge strips are
> typically no more than some metal oxide varistors placed across hot, neutral
> and ground.  Some put torodial coils for noise reduction, but I don’t know
> of anything in any of them that would damage the UPS or the surge strip.

  Cheap components.  I've seen cheap TVSSes burn up spontaneously, let
alone with a UPS.  I wouldn't put any kind of failure mode past some
of the no-name crap you see these days.

-- Ben