From: Carl Houseman [mailto:c.house...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 12:28 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Automatic Updates has humongous datastore.edb and memory
consumption

Oh... I just realized you wanted me to delete the entire SoftwareDistribution
hierarchy... Previously I was only clearing out the datastore\Logs\ files in
addition to datastore.edb.

Found a SBS03 server that uses Microsoft's update servers with a 162 MB
datastore.edb.  Deleting and rebuilding the datastore.edb reduced it to 152 MB.
 Deleted all SoftwareDistribution\ folders and datastore.edb rebuilt to 152 MB
again.   So there's no apparent improvement from taking out all of
SoftwareDistribution vs. just the datastore.edb file.

But I'm still thinking, 170 MB datastore,.edb on XP Pro is abominably large.
And I should have gotten some minor improvement on the problem machine as I've
seen with every other machine I've rebuilt a datastore.edb on, but maybe that
only happens if some MS software has been uninstalled.

So anyone else?  If you have a a well-used XP Pro with lots of MS products
installed that uses MS's update servers, what is your
\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Datastore.edb file size?

Carl