5+ year old ThinkPad home machine that seems like I've loaded nearly
anything MS makes on at one time or another is 113MB.

3 month old Dell laptop is 89MB.

From: Carl Houseman [mailto:c.house...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 9:28 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Automatic Updates has humongous datastore.edb and memory
consumption

Oh... I just realized you wanted me to delete the entire
SoftwareDistribution hierarchy... Previously I was only clearing out the
datastore\Logs\ files in addition to datastore.edb.

Found a SBS03 server that uses Microsoft's update servers with a 162 MB
datastore.edb.  Deleting and rebuilding the datastore.edb reduced it to
152 MB.  Deleted all SoftwareDistribution\ folders and datastore.edb
rebuilt to 152 MB again.   So there's no apparent improvement from
taking out all of SoftwareDistribution vs. just the datastore.edb file.

But I'm still thinking, 170 MB datastore,.edb on XP Pro is abominably
large.  And I should have gotten some minor improvement on the problem
machine as I've seen with every other machine I've rebuilt a
datastore.edb on, but maybe that only happens if some MS software has
been uninstalled.

So anyone else?  If you have a a well-used XP Pro with lots of MS
products installed that uses MS's update servers, what is your
\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Datastore.edb file size?

Carl